Monday, September 17, 2012

The end of a long day - Am Ende eines langen Tages


Fear not, for I am with you; 
be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,

I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10 

Here is what Richard wrote while I was pumping breastmilk. Yes, I am back to that to get my little guy what he will need to hopefully start his day tomorrow in the CICU. We've been up since 4am and I am too tired to write up something new.

"Well folks, it has been a rough afternoon/evening. Olevander is doing ok medically, but he is NOT comfortable. He has been having fits of pain/discomfort/anxiety almost continuously since ~3:30pm. Mutti and Papa are almost powerless to calm him and at times our presence may be agitating him; it's hard to tell. In any case please keep praying that he, and his parents, will be able to rest tonight. We're out of steam, and we're going to bed... it's up to the pharmacists, doctors, and nurses to find the right medicines and regimen to make him comfortable. There is a nurse sitting by his bedside to restrain him to keep him from hurting himself during his restless phases. Thankfully, they seem to be coming less often and are of a shorter duration. Please pray that this trend continues. 
Despite all this, he has done well. He got off the respirator fairly quickly and he is off all but one of his drip medications... the third requirement before they start looking to move him to the Step Down Unit is that he takes food by mouth... (which is where the pumping comes in). So despite his restlessness, he is making progress, but please keep praying. We all need your prayers. God bless and good night."

Fürchte dich nicht, denn ich bin mit dir; 
sei nicht ängstlich, denn ich bin dein Gott; 
ich stärke dich, ich helfe dir auch, 
ja, ich erhalte dich durch die rechte Hand meiner Gerechtigkeit!
Jesaja 41:10 

Olevander ist auf dem Wege der Besserung, aber im verwirrenden Zwielicht zwischen Betaeubung, Schmerzen und Wachsein. 
Er schreit, will sich drehen und wenden und verheddert sich in all den Kabeln, Leitungen, und Messgeraeten. Jason und ich wechselten uns ab, ihn zusammen mit der Krankenschwester zu beruhigen, zu entwirren und wieder zurechtzulegen. Der arme Kerl weiss ueberhaupt nicht, wie ihm geschieht.
Fuer uns blieb ansonsten nicht viel Zeit: Zwischendurch einen Happen essen, mal mit den Maedchen und Joy zu Hause telefonieren und wieder Milch abpumpen, damit er damit hoffentlich den morgigen Tag beginnen kann. 
Der Tag war lang, wir sind seit 4Uhr auf den Beinen. Vielen Dank allen, die uns betend und in Gedanken begleitet haben! Betet, dass es Olevander bald besser gehen moege, seine Schmerzen unter Kontrolle gebracht werden koennen und dass er alle Kraft auf seine Heilung verwenden kann.
Wir schlafen heute hier im Krankenhaus (natuerlich nicht auf der Intensivstation, aber in einfachen Schlafraeumen fuer die Eltern). Gute Nacht!

No comments:

Post a Comment